Wednesday, 24 January 2007

Paradise Spoiled

Got to Pulau Pangkor nae probs in the end and checked in to a nice wee chalet in a friendly and relaxed backpacker place called Nazri Beach Camp. The beaches here are fantastic and I spent a couple of happy days lazily toasting on the sand and floating on the calm sea. I then spent about 36hrs laid low with some kind of flu bug which eventually went as speedily as it arrived. However, a disappointment awaited my much anticipated first dip in the sea following said illness - the shoreline was covered in all sorts of garbage, especially of the plastic and glass variety (fag lighters being a particularly popular component). Fook. I may be wrong, but I reckon that the crap that's washed onto the erstwhile perfect beach has been dislodged from some rubbish tip somewhere by the earthquake which occurred off Indonesia the other day. The locals have made a good attempt at cleaning up, but there's still tonnes of crap floating around, so I ain't intending to take any more swims. Shame. Ah well, time to move on. Next stop Penang!

3 comments:

denspark said...

"covered in all sorts of garbage, especially of the plastic and glass variety (fag lighters being a particularly popular component)"

must have felt just like west lothian ...

denspark said...

Newcastle brown bottles by any chance?

buckfast bottles more like

Bob said...

I think I saw a few Dundee FC season tickets ('06-'07) floating around too...