Been in KL for about 48hrs now and my body clock is still way out of sync. Despite having managed to sleep for most of the flight (totally unlike me) and then having a long kip when I arrived at the YMCA (yes, it is fun to stay there) I'm still operating on Dale Standard Time. Today I've got two long bus journeys ahead to take me to the supposedly idyllic island of Pulau Pangkor and I am not feeling up to it. If I can't get any zzz on the first leg I think I might have to break up the journey by overnighting in the city of Ipoh (founded on the tin mining industry it says here). Not a welcoming prospect.
Ok, moaning over. It is great to be in the orient again, even if it means acclimatising all over again. KL gets better every time I come here - it's quite buzzing actually and (like many Asian cities) the place is overwhelmed by all sorts of outdoor eateries and roadside hawker stalls, some of which are open 24hrs. Also, its got a fantastic, modern transit system (monorail, light rail, etc) which is great for getting around quickly, cheaply and (most importantly) in air-conditioned comfort.
A curious phenomenon in this part of town is the number of blind people you see wandering around tapping their white canes. I couldn't understand it at first, until I saw that there are a number of "Blind Massage" centres in the area. I suppose the loss of one sense makes the others (including touch) more keen, they give a more gallas massage...?
Better go catch that bus.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Do you get a happy ending though?
Did you feel the big quake that hit Indonesia on Sunday? You're probably not that far away if I remember my O Grade geography.
I'll disregard that first comment, Dave. The answer to the second will be in ra next post.
I didn't mean you in particular. It was more of a general inquiry.
Post a Comment